Concepts of Right action

Concepts of Right action

                 P Rajagopal Tampi



Introduction

Right action is our response to a stimulus that is not coloured by any of our naturally endowed positive or negative qualities like jealousies, anger, vindictiveness, biases, likes, dislikes, life-conditioning and other such qualities. It is just the simple, correct, honest, appropriate, well thought out response required from us to factually satisfy the stimulus coming at us. It should only address and respond with integrity to the core truths and facts of the oncoming stimulus, nothing more, nothing less. Emotions, personal friendships, enmities and such aspects should not be involved in formulating our response.

When our response is perfect, it can right a wrong, or meet the need, or sometimes gives just an honest answer to a question and it ends there. There are no follow-on repercussions, the matter closes.

Explanation

Imagine that the stimulus is like an electrical charge which comes at you. If you respond with the exact amount of charge to neutralize the charge of the stimulus, the stimulus is extinguished. There are no surviving charge ripples generated in the stimulus eco-system which can upset others. This is the perfect situation.  

If we respond with an inappropriate charge, charge ripples are created and they spread across the eco-system, causing other charge responses which will amplify the charges involved, disturbing the peace of the ecosystem. When we respond from our emotional and natural biases, we respond with inappropriate charges.

Right action, creates peace, stillness and clarity of mind. That is what we should endeavour for. Right action benefits everyone in the long run. There is no better response than right action. It does not create ripples. There are no remaining unbalanced charges in the eco-system. There is only stillness and peace.

Although I have used the example of a stimulus coming at us, we should know that right action is much larger than that. As you will note from my personal examples below, right action is not only about appropriate fact-based response to address the matter at hand. It also includes having the right intent and being true to our response in the long term. Sometimes, even silence is the right action.

Illustrations

Most of you would have heard of the “Adarsh” scam in India the mid-2000s. It involved the multistorey building constructed on Defence land in Colaba that exemplified corruption in India. The scam forced the Chief Minister’s resignation. Everyone in the list of allottees was under the glare of the media and the investigative authorities. The flats are still unoccupied. The money has not been refunded. Under duress, I had reluctantly invested the initial deposit in the early under-construction project. I was allotted a flat. About a year later, much before the scam broke out, due to a fortuitous incident, I realized my mistake. How can I legally get a flat in Colaba for Rs 70 lakhs when the market rate was Rs 7 crores or ten times? Since I had no proper answer, I was sure that I did not want to be a part of the project. I voluntarily gave up the flat and was refunded my booking amount within 24 hours by cheque! Such was the demand for flats. In 2008, when I was the Global CDO and CIO of Mastek Ltd, the scam broke in the newspapers with names of the flat owners published. The PRO approached me rather discretely and asked me if I had a flat in the building. Had I not voluntarily surrendered my flat, it is possible that I may have been sacked from my job due to conflict with my top leadership role in the Company.

Many years ago, I had an Englishman Tim (name changed) reporting to me. He was heading our business of about 1000 persons in the UK not including the offshore teams. He managed a government project worth 50 million pounds for the company in addition to many other businesses. Tim was a contractor and I was uncomfortable with a contractor managing the UK business. Unfortunately, Tim had refused to become a permanent employee. I met Tim and told him that I was new and uncomfortable with him leading the business as a contractor. I wanted him to continue and asked him what it would take for him to become a permanent employee. He brought up a tax issue due to which he would lose money if he became a permanent employee. I spoke to the finance Manager and restructured his pay and incentives which resulted in more take home pay or him and lesser outgoings for the company. He agreed willingly. We focused on only the core issues and I was unwaveringly honest that I needed him to take up permanent employment.

Later, we had a very large project in a critical phase. The Solution architect, a key resource had a personal unavoidable need to go on leave. We were not in a position to grant the leave as there was no one with the knowledge to replace him.  Finally, I called him to my office and explained the issue. I suggested that he delay his departure by about two weeks with a tweak to his personal plan which I felt was workable. He wanted an assurance from me that he would be given his leave after two weeks. I gave him my word. After two weeks, his managers refused to relieve him. I overruled them, he went on leave. The project succeeded, he was very loyal, we had a wonderful connection and have even become friends.

Conclusion

As Managers or human beings, we have to train our minds to recognize the facts of the matter and not be distracted by the surrounding noise. It is not very difficult if we try and focus only on the matter on hand and filter out the actors and the noise that they create. Our intent and actions must be honest and right. I believe this is the best policy in life and at work.

There may be many who may think that cleverness trumps righteousness. I reserve my right to disagree based on my life’s experiences. Time and again, I have only been rewarded in the long run for my beliefs and right actions. 

Life is utterly amazing. We must have faith and trust in our true convictions and we should steer their steady path. I believe Universality will then play out in our best interest.

  Copyright 2022 © Commander P Rajagopal Tampi (R)

The views expressed are the solely that of the author. There may be other views existing on the topic and the author’s intention is not to create any conflicts.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNIVERSALITY - Soul of the Universe

A Governance Framework for AI Quality Testing in India

Corporate Social Responsibility revamp for bridging India’s wealth gap